Sunday, October 14, 2007

Y'all Come Back Now, Ya Heah? Back To Florida

The Georgia Police historically were quite hospitable when it came to people from ‘out of town.’ They would kindly escort you to the county border and ‘drop’ you off, with a choice of admonishments; either ‘Y’all come back, ya hear?’ Or ‘The next time you come here, you’re leaving in a body bag!’ Today, things have changed greatly. (they no longer use body bags.)


I want you to see the parts of Georgia and Florida tourists never see. It’s lovely and the people are endearing. I must admit I’m a bit concerned about my fellow Brit's ability to overcome the accents, but just remember, they're having as much difficulty with you!


One of the South’s most famous authors is Joel Chandler Harris. He wrote the books of Uncle Remus and Bre’r Rabbit. If you can get a copy and study it on the plane over, I have no doubt you’ll be able to understand everyone. There'a actually a formula to it all. As I recall’ the first consonant is ignored in any word.


For example: The city of Atlanta is pronounced ‘A’lana.’ (well, heck, they dropped the second consonant as well…those crafty linguists!). But then, as I reflect, they became more pragmatic about the whole thing and decided ‘since we don’t need all those consonants, why not throw out a few of them (pronounced ‘Dem’), silly ole me, (notice that I dropped the ‘D’), vowels as well! So, now, Atlanta is pronounced ‘Lana.’ See how much sense it all makes?

There is also another language spoken by a group of Americans called Ebonics. Thankfully, there is a translation guide provided for this. I do wish you luck. I still can't figure it out.

And then there’s the ‘relaxed’ version of English. This is described as an attempt to speak the language without having to exercise too much effort in moving your lips. (after all…it is the sleepy south, innit?) Catching on? So if someone says ‘You tain wichoo?’ What they’re asking is: Madam, may I enquire please, do you intend to take this with you today? Don’t worry, you’ll catch on. Or you can have a fly in visit with a local doctor to get some sedating medication which will make you talk the same way they do!


My oh my, look at that ! Five entire paragraphs and not a single mention of food! What has happened to me!


The red light IS ON! Stand clear of the crowds! America’s favourite…no the world’s favourite donut shop is Krispy Kreme! And when the red light is on, it means the donuts are literally rolling off the conveyor! As they come out of the fryer, there’s a machine to bless them with warm sugar icing. Sinful? You bet!


As you drive out of Savannah, towards I-95, on the right, there is a Kripsy Kreme. They’re in all the famous places and you may see boxes of Krispy Kreme in stores and shops. But the best way to enjoy them is from conveyor to mouth. Krispy Kreme have about 20 varieties. Our favourite is the white cream filled and covered with chocolate. Or, the conveyor version. I used to stand and watch the girl fill the donuts with jam for hours…or at least until she got off duty and would go somewhere with me. Nothing like a cream filled tart to start your day! (again, we're talking decades ago...just needed to get that point across, please!)


Oh yes, leaving Savannah: I’d prefer you not take the Highways. Stay on the old roads, in this case 301, (of which Abercorn becomes). However, you will have to get on Interstate 95 to head down to the Florida State line. Take I-95 South to the town of Yulee. Exit at Yulee onto 301 South. From there, it’s a straight journey almost all the way to Homosassa. I can’t tell you about specific sights because it is not tourist orientated. What I think you will enjoy is seeing a part of the world where time has slowed down. I’d say if you use your camera, take photos of things that are out of the ordinary. My guess is that if you stop at some of the oldest petrol stations (called gas stations), you may still find three sets of toilets: Ladies, Gentlemen, and Coloured! I wish I were kidding.


Some history about the highway system.

I can promise you no Americans know this. The highway system is actually legally called the NDHS. (National Defense Highway System). It was created by President Eisenhower for the purpose of transporting large troop movements and evacuating cities. The system was designed in such a way that traffic could be directed in one singular direction on all lanes at all times.


As the system developed, it was a requirement that within every fifteen miles, there be a straight and level stretch of at least 1.5 miles. This is for the purpose of being able to land the largest of military aircraft types, anywhere in America.


Heading South on I-95 towards the Florida border, exit at Yulee (as I said). You will continue south on SR200 and US 301 towards Gainesville, Florida.


Fill in your own blanks between Yulee and Homosassa. I will include a side-trip to Ichetucknee Springs, my most favourite place to ride inner tubes down the river.


A Florida State Park, Homosassa Springs is truly unique, featuring a wide variety of native wildlife, including the endangered manatees, and a myriad of fresh and saltwater fish in a first-magnitude spring. A floating observatory allows visitors an underwater view of the spring with its resident manatees and the hundreds of fish who are free to come and go. The water is crystal clear and you can swim with the Manatee, or view them from an underwater viewing tank, that is built into the river. (who knows Jane, some people may want their photos taken with you!)

A recently completed Wildlife Walk leads you on an elevated boardwalk through habitats for Florida Black Bears, cougars, bobcats, river otters, grey fox and red fox and much more. Birds of prey, wading birds, and waterfowl also pose for photographers strolling through the Wildlife Walk. A reptile exhibit features many of Florida's reptiles, both venomous and non-venomous. Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park is also one of only five places where you can see a Whooping Crane up close, and one of only two places that have wild deer.

If you’re becoming tired of staying in motels, how about staying in a cottage?

There are lots of inexpensive cabins and chalets, some located right on the water where you can watch manatee swim by! Some chalets have pontoon boats included in the rate. Or you might wish to hire an outboard for the day.

This is one of my favourite areas of Florida to visit, where it makes no difference how you dress or whether you shave or not!

.

Riverside Resorts has been one of my favourite places to stay. (don't think of the word 'resort' meaning anything fancy!) Again, there is nothing pretentious about the place at all. It’s cheap and cheerful. However, I can’t tell you what has happened since the horrible hurricanes 2 years ago. But I’d highly recommend staying here. It’s right on the river, the Riverside Crab House is one of my favourite places to eat low-country cooking, especially Florida Lobster, Crab and shrimp. Have a look at the Menu!

See how I sneaked food in again!
Riverside Crab House! Located right on the Homosassa River at the Riverside Resort. By now, I hope you will have appreciated my dining recommendations and decided I’ve gotten it right! Have a look at the menu and photos of the hotel. Also, room rates here are as low as $55 a night…maybe less!

Ichetucknee Springs (Prounounced 'Ish-tut-ney')

The crystalline Ichetucknee River flows six miles through shaded hammocks and wetlands before it joins the Santa Fe River. In 1972, the headspring of the river was declared a National Natural Landmark by the U. S. Department of the Interior. From the end of May until early September, tubing down the river is the premier activity in the area.


Tubes, snorkelling and diving equipment can be hired from private vendors outside the park. Located four miles northwest of Fort White on SR47 and 238. If you have young people with you, it can be better than Disney!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home